Home Dinner inspired by Rachel Khoo’s show
Last month I invited some friends over to my place for a nice homemade meal.
The theme was: Mexican ingredients make new dishes.
I really had no idea what I wanted to cook, so I just went to the Central de Abastos (biggest suppliers market in Mexico City) and bought whatever got my eye, and it wasn’t until I got home and checked everything I had available in my pantry that I knew what we were eating that night. It turned out that I had just watched an episode of Rachel Khoo’s kitchen on the BBC where she made an Austrian dish called Spätzle (which means little sparrow in German) so I really wanted to try it out.
Our dinner ended up being high in carbs, which was perfect for a very cold night. And let me tell you, those tres leches cupcakes were out of this world!
Here’s the menu:
- Polenta squares with chard and sweet potato grilled with a habanero sauce (careful with this chili!).
- Spätzle with Oaxaca cheese and caramelized onions with mustard seeds.
- Cold rice salad with vinegar, dried cranberries, nuts and balsamic vinegar.
- Tres leches cupcake with cream cheese frosting and edible flowers.
- We washed everything down with a very good and reliable Victoria beer.
A big thank you to Ana Tello my very talented friend who took the pictures and got food as her payment, hopefully it was worth it! 😉